We are the church where people wear green dots as a reminder that “It’s always time to pray.”
Every moment of every day is an opportunity to draw close to God. No moment of sadness, no time of sorrow, no experience of joy or uncertainty keeps you away. God is always ready to welcome you home, and so are we here at Oakwood United Methodist Church.
If you’re looking to discover the difference prayer can make in your life, with other people of faith, join us at Oakwood. We’ll give you a green dot, and we’ll be praying with you!
A Brief History
Oakwood took root November 5, 1989 when 137 people from Pleasant Hill and the surrounding area first met in the Pleasant Hill Youth Center. Today, Oakwood’s family includes households from throughout the Des Moines metro area. Average worship attendance reaches near 500. God has blessed our outreach several times over:
- By 1992, we had outgrown the Pleasant Hill Youth Center, and in June of that year we broke ground for our own church building; formally “moving in” January 1993.
- In September 1994 we began our second service (Praise service), welcoming even more new friends to Oakwood’s growing family of faith.
- On October 22, 1995 we broke ground for our Family Life Center.
- In January 2002 we began our Wednesday Worship service.
- In June of 2004 construction began on our “Phase III” Worship Center and education unit, which we moved into August of 2005.
As Oakwood UMC continues to grow, we strive to reach out to all people, welcoming everyone who seeks a supportive and active place of faith and fellowship in Jesus. And so it is a joy to include you ~ Welcome to Oakwood!
OUR FOCUS not only as a church family, but also as individuals is to:
- Worship – enter into worship with others as we seek Jesus (by seeking out, inviting, welcoming, connecting, and offering true biblical hospitality & an authentic corporate worship atmosphere).
- Disciple – one another in Jesus (helping each other to become faithful followers of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of our lives).
- Serve – others in Jesus (with no restrictions on heritage, background, life situation, or life experience; that everyone may know the life and love of God, through Jesus the living Christ).
- God has a wonderful plan for your life; and at the core, that plan has everything to do with living life with God.
- Real living begins when you commit your life to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- The wisdom and guidance we need for daily living are found in God’s book, the Bible.
- We are a gifted people; called, equipped, and guided by God to make a difference in our world.
It is our objective that everyone who fully participates in Oakwood’s Christian education, disciple, service, and worship ministries will have laid in them a solid foundation on which to build an enduring life in Christ. (Matthew 7:24-27)
This, then, is our guarantee to each child, youth, and adult who actively participates in Oakwood’s ministry:
If you “raise up a child” (Proverbs 22:6) within Oakwood’s Christian Learning Time, Camping, Vacation Bible School, Youth ministries, and through a life of worship; and/or as an adult, actively seek out God through our Adult education, worship, and service ministries… we will provide the foundation you need to “believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.” (John 20:31b)